PS About shop portfolio

2.11.2014

S A Y :: do what you're good at


D O   W  H A T    Y O U  ' R E    G O O D   A T 

I read these words the other day and I haven't been able to shake em. I think somehow in attempt to grow, we try our hand at things and let's be honest, we're just not that good at them. For some reason we continue to do these things, either because we're "supposed to", we feel like "we should be good at this", or simply because we want to "get better". But here's the honest truth, we should stop doing the stuff we suck at and start doing the things we're great at! Not only will our work be more satisfying, because generally we love what we're good at, but we'll create work that is great, instead of creating something mediocre. Find your strengths and build on those. Sure, we should work towards turning our weaknesses into... not weaknesses(?), but more than that, we should capitalize on our strengths. As I write this, I start to question whether or not I even know what those are. That's another thing! Sometimes we focus so much on the things we're lousy at that we don't even realize what we're great at! So, stop what you're doing (but finish reading this first), grab a pen and paper, or pull up pages, or grab your phone and open up notes - write down your strengths. For some it may be easy, but I'd venture to say a few of us will stare at our blank page for a moment or two. When we know our strengths and stop trying to "fit in" and be something we're just not, it's so freeing! Instead of being a round peg trying to fit into a square hole, stressing ourselves to be great at something we were never even intended to be good at, we can just simply be who we were created to be. We were all created with brilliant thoughts and ideas, filled with gifts and talents, brimming over with potential, so... what are your strengths? 

3 comments:

  1. It's just a lovely post! I'm always fighting with myself, trying to do the same things that people do and waiting to be accepted by everyone when I can't handle it anymore. But you opened my eyes and now I'm going to be me and just me, I'll do the things I love and I'm good at! Thank you so much! x

    camstalks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such an interesting read. I've been doing a lot of soul-searching lately and as much as I would like to capitalise on my strengths, I'm still in the process of figuring out what they are. A little struggle, that's for sure, but I'm sure in the end it will be worth it! Thanks for keeping us positive <3

    Mel | www.snapsformel.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous17.2.14

    This is EXACTLY what I needed to read tonight. I've always had one specific passion, always. Over the past few years I've tried so many other things to try and fit some unspoken mold, trying to create myself in a new and different way. Only after trying each of those new things, have I come to the realization that I need to do what I'm good at. So simple, such a great mantra to live by.

    xx hairkates.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete